Friday, August 24, 2012

Been a bit Snappy and Stressed?

 A Devotional by Margot Cioccio


I am just completing a big commission project of 30 hand painted Christmas ornaments of illustrations that I have done from the Old Time Radio show called the Cinnamon Bear.
You can see my favorite character from the series, Snapper Stick the Crocodile. I am just about done with the finishing touches on the project and took some time out to experiment with a first card idea. Eventually they will all become cards for various occasions.

I was thinking about what I do when I get snappy. I do often take a bath. It might be why I like this character - I can relate. The bath gives me some time away so I don't take my grumpy mood out on my family. It is good to allow the Lord in even when we are discouraged or grumpy. He is not just a fair weather friend. We serve a God who is not un-done because we are having a bad day, even when we are mad at him. Anyway I've collected some verses for you that may be helpful to remember when you are having a stressed out snappy kind of day. 

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.


Philippians 4:6,7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalms 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.

James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Another thing that Snapper Stick the Crocodile reminds me to do is to sing or to praise the Lord. To be thankful and to not forget all that he has done.

Psalms 103:1-5 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, Help us to turn to you when we are feeling snappy. Help us to be careful with the words that come out of our mouths in those moments. Help us to not say things that will hurt or damage the people we care about. Lord if we were snappy and said some things we now regret give us the courage to repent and make things right. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...