Thursday, October 4, 2012

Be Still And Know That I Am God

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

I have been trying as much as I am able to have a quiet week. Which means that I have had to say "no" to things that people have wanted me to do. I won't be at things that don't directly depend on me to happen. My first response is to feel guilty but my second is to step back and realize that I am not indispensable.

I know that for weeks the Lord has been saying to me "slow down". I realize it is a process for me to do that. My thoughts are still un-settled and I am still easily distracted. Even so, I have to know that the Lord will help me to get to the place of slowed down, settledness that he wants for me. If he is asking something of us, he has a way and a plan for getting us there. I'd like to be led willingly not like a donkey fighting my master every step of the way.

Search me oh Lord and know my anxious thoughts, Psalm 139 says. I suppose the Lord already knows what things frighten and unsettle me. I suppose in praying that prayer God is searching and knowing my heart but I think that he is also helping to to reveal those things to me.  We may put on a brave, got it together face for the world around us but I have found that it is best to be honest with the Lord. Forgive me Lord, I have anxious thoughts.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.

It is much easier to point a accusing finger at everyone else than it is to look honestly and humbly at our own offensive ways. It is easy to keep so busy or so numb that we don't deal with our own issues. I suppose I know in slowing down that there are issues that the Lord wants me to see and places that he desires to heal.  I am thankful that he sees my feeble attempts and will meet me and help me.

The 23 Psalm says he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul. For my soul to be restored I must get to a place of being still and settled. I have to be a sheep that trusts my shepherd when he says I need to slow down and rest. 

Prayer:
Dear Lord, 
Help us to be still and know that you are God. Help us to realize our own anxious thoughts and to see our offensive ways. Help us to not then have a pity party or a condemnation fest, but to allow you to help us change to become the men and women who's lives are pleasing to you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...