Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Psalm 119:145-152 I Call Out

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

If you are just joining us, we have been looking at the longest Psalm in the bible. It is an acrostic poem that is broken into sections each one starting with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. We are down to the last 4 days and I hope you have enjoyed it. I will be taking the month of June off from writing this blog. I have been posting everyday M-F for 47 months and now have about 500 inspirational posts for you to choose from. I will be seeking the Lord for His direction and am looking at many of the things I am doing, to make sure they fit His vision and purpose for my life. We can be busy doing a lot of good things. We have a limited amount of energy and if we use it for this thing, we may not be also able to do this other thing. Of the things we are doing what of it makes us feel alive. What of it is God's best and what it is our lame attempts at surval or duty. It is important to make sure that we are living fully the mission that God has designed for each of us. So I am taking some time to reflect, pray and to fine tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1dkjX_2AXU&feature=share&list=PLAE37DF69613BB3F3


ק Qoph

Psalm 119:145-152 The Message (MSG)
I call out at the top of my lungs,
    God! Answer! I’ll do whatever you say.”
I called to you, “Save me
    so I can carry out all your instructions.”
I was up before sunrise,
    crying for help, hoping for a word from you.
I stayed awake all night,
    prayerfully pondering your promise.
In your love, listen to me;
    in your justice, God, keep me alive.
As those out to get me come closer and closer,
    they go farther and farther from the truth you reveal;
But you’re the closest of all to me, God,
    and all your judgments true.
I’ve known all along from the evidence of your words
    that you meant them to last forever.
I call out at the top of my lungs, God! Answer! I’ll do whatever you say.”I called to you, “Save me so I can carry out all your instructions.”  We can get ourselves into situations that feel like we are trapped or stuck or our hands are tied. We don't know what to do. From that place of desperation we will turn to God after we have tried everything we know to do. He wants to be our first resort not our last resort. We can spend a lot of energy and effort that could be avoided by simply taking the time to make the Lord your first resort. To promise to do what he says should not be a bargaining chip that we offer in a last attempt before you drown in the sea of your problems. Doing what he says should be your way of life. Sometimes even though we have given our life to him - there are parts we are still trying to retain control of. Our attitude should be like Daniel's friends as they were being put in the extra hot furnace. Daniel 3: 17 "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up. 
Is it settled in your heart that God is fully able to deliver you but even if he does not do things your way that you will continue to trust and serve Him?

I was up before sunrise, crying for help, hoping for a word from you.
I stayed awake all night, 
prayerfully pondering your promise. I'd like to tell you that every morning I have some great revelation from the Lord. That I know that I know, that I know that God has spoken. That He has answered my every question. Many mornings I spend time reading His word, writing, thinking and praying and it is all very ordinary. No goose bumps or warm fuzzies. My relationship is not based on feelings it is based on He gave his life for me and I gave my life to Him. It is about living to know Him more. I have found that taking the time in the morning to spend with Him even if it is not filled with goose bumps and warm fuzzies, somehow sets my day. There are times at night when I will wake up and feel like I just need to pray. I don't always know why, but I try to listen and to pray for those who come to mind. Or in the case of anxiety I remind myself that God is able to protect, provide and care for me and I make a decision not to worry but to trust and pray. 

In your love, listen to me; in your justice, God, keep me alive.
As those out to get me come closer and closer,
they go farther and farther from the truth you reveal;

Just remember that it is a spiritual battle - that our enemies are not flesh and blood people. Even though they may act the part at times. Our job is to pray and follow the instructions of verses like Luke 6  27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you. 

But you’re the closest of all to me, Godand all your judgments true.
I’ve known all along from the evidence of your words 
that you meant them to last forever. We serve a God who is faithful and just. There have been wonderful believer who have gone before us and left foot steps for us to follow. Great thinkers, and people who gave their lives to the the Lord and His kingdom. We have the Word available to us in many translations and languages. We don't have to share one book or scroll with a whole community. We have our own bibles. There have been and are still in some places believers who would give anything to have a single page of their own. Yet with all our bibles to many of us don't spend time pouring over its words. We might dust it off if we are in trouble. If you love the Lord, you will spend time in His Word. That in and through it you will come to see His heart and His character. That you will come to know Him more. He gives us the Holy Spirit to lead and teach us. You need more than a kindergarden knowledge of the Word - it needs to be your daily bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...