Monday, May 27, 2013

Psalm 119:137-144 Life to the fullest

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-zS0JbQwQ&feature=share&list=PLAE37DF69613BB3F3


Today is Memorial Day and to finish this Psalm up by the end of the month I should post today. My plan is to take off the month of June to sort of re-boot my mental, emotional, spiritual computer. I have posted 503 posts so there is no shortage of inspiration to choose from durning the month of June. I'm not sure how not writing will go - it has become such a way of life for me. Even writing this post today has been a pep talk to myself and has helped to ground and stabilize me. Anyway in my neck of the woods the sun is shining and it looks to be quite a lovely day in the making. So I will keep this short and get on to enjoying the day that the Lord has made. 

צ Tsadhe

Psalm 119:137-144

The Message (MSG)  
You are right and you do right, God;
    your decisions are right on target.
You rightly instruct us in how to live
    ever faithful to you.
My rivals nearly did me in,
    they persistently ignored your commandments.
Your promise has been tested through and through,
    and I, your servant, love it dearly.
I’m too young to be important,
    but I don’t forget what you tell me.
Your righteousness is eternally right,
    your revelation is the only truth.
Even though troubles came down on me hard,
    your commands always gave me delight.
The way you tell me to live is always right;
    help me understand it so I can live to the fullest.
You are right and you do right, Godyour decisions are right on target.
You rightly instruct us in how to live ever faithful to you.

I awoke to some negative talk going on in my brain and what ever it was it came up against a filter, or a guard that was set by the Word, I had bothered to plant. I sat up in bed to resist the feelings of doubt, shame, fear - to say to them that is not true! "There is there for now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." "I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, they are plans for your good and not your harm, plans to give you a hope and a future." "The Lord has not given you a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind"  Those words and others are firmly planted in my memory, and they stand as filters and guards over my mind and spirit.  I am not a good memorizer and I generally can't give you chapter and verse. I may not even get it all word for word but I have made an effort to plant the word in my heart and mind. For me it seems to stick best when it is set to music. I go back to an earlier verse in this study  Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."  One of the ways we are rightly instructed is to hide the word in our hearts. You may not always have a bible handy, how much of the word would be in you if all your bibles were taken away today?  Bible memory is an important. We are to meditate on the word day and night. Is there a verse that you are keeping before you today. We have to have the Word to help us filter out the false evidence that appears to be true. 

My rivals nearly did me in, they persistently ignored your commandments. Your promise has been tested through and through, and I, your servant, love it dearly.
I try to keep in mind that our enemies are not flesh and blood but powers and principalities and rulers of dark places. There are people who join with the enemy as accusers. They join with the enemy to tear others down, rather than build them up. Well meaning people who often are followers of Jesus but have gotten off track somehow. I have to remember they are not my enemy. I need to recognize when a brother or sister is being manipulated by a crafty enemy. I should pray for them. Pray for those who persecute you and despitefully use you. We are to forgive as we have been forgiven. I'm not saying you need to be a door mat and stay in an abusive situation but you need to recognize the source of the true enemy. Stand on God's promises they have been tested through and though. 

I’m too young to be important, but I don’t forget what you tell me.
Your righteousness is eternally right, your revelation is the only truth.

I often have to push through feelings of "not ___ enough" I at least recognize it as false evidence at this point. I still have to decide to resist it and stand on "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." "The steps of the righteous are ordered by the Lord" and "Your Word oh Lord is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Just because I often feel inadequate does not mean I should just sit down and have a pity party and feel bad for myself. It means I need to stand on the truth of the Word, resist the devil and he will flee. Push through the oppression, the condemnation, the shame, the guilt the doubt. Have you taken those things to Jesus? Have you repented of those things that bring shame and guilt? Have you forgiven those who have hurt you? Allow the Holy Spirit to show you if there is something you've neglected to deal with. If there is not - than stand up - tell the enemy to take a hike those things have been dealt with and are under the blood. The enemy will do everything to make you feel little, stuck, inadequate. The enemy hurls condemnation, doubt and fear, we need to have our armor on. We need to have the Word to cut through those false things that appear true like a sharp sword.    

Even though troubles came down on me hard, your commands always gave me delight.The way you tell me to live is always right; help me understand it so I can live to the fullest.
So we can spend our time reacting to the troubles or we can find out what God wants us to be doing and push past the little distractions and troubles. We need to have a clear vision of Gods plan and purpose for our lives. We must become empty so he can fill us up. Most of us spend too much time just being busy and running on empty. The disciple were sent to wait until the Holy Spirit came and filled them. Some of us need to seek the Lord and actively wait for his instruction and infilling. Some of us need to follow through and do the things he already gave us to do before He will give any new instruction. Often we need to finish up one thing, rest a bit and then he will show us what is next. The Lord intends that we live fully alive lives. Some of you are just going through the motions rather than really living and following the dreams God has placed in your heart. Some of us have forgotten how to dream and need the Lord to give us new dreams. Some of us need to speak life into the valley of dry bones. We need to face those things that haunt us. We need to not allow our lacks and addictions and fears to control us. We need to decide to be controlled by the Lord and to be directed by the Holy Spirit. 

So go and live today to the fullest for God's glory. It won't do any good to sit around worrying about tomorrow - don't miss what God has for you today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...