Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Psalm 119:113-120 Samekh

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8fZVfkdxU&feature=share&list=PLAE37DF69613BB3F3

ס Samekh


I hate double-minded people,
    but I love your law.
114 You are my refuge and my shield;
    I have put my hope in your word.
115 Away from me, you evildoers,
    that I may keep the commands of my God!
116 Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live;
    do not let my hopes be dashed.
117 Uphold me, and I will be delivered;
    I will always have regard for your decrees.
118 You reject all who stray from your decrees,
    for their delusions come to nothing.
119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross;
    therefore I love your statutes.
120 My flesh trembles in fear of you;
    I stand in awe of your laws.

I hate double-minded people, but I love your law.
James 1:6-8 6 "But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt,because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."
There is a decision making process where one may go back and forth trying to determine what the best choice is to make. I think double minded is when we get stuck in that process and can't move forward. At some point one must make a choice and take a step of faith to move in a direction towards a goal. 

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
One of the exercises in one of the many books I am presently reading is to draw a shield and to divide it into four quadrants. In each one you put something to represent your talents. The word says that faith is a shield that protects us from the darts of the enemy. I suppose knowing what your talent, gifting are can help you make decisions that keep you on track towards accomplishing your calling and destiny.  What are your gifts or tallent that the Holy Spirit has given you?  

Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God! Sometimes we must make decisions about the people we are going to spend time with. If you are going to move forward you need to be around people who are positive and who will support and encourage you. We have to watch out for the bullies who don't want us to change or progress. They want to keep everything the same. If you have not read the book the Dream Giver it gives a wonderful parable type story about someone who decided to go after their big dream and the obstacles they faced along the way. 

116 Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.
God does not always give us what we think we want the moment we think we want it. Often we must hold on to things by faith trusting in God's promises. 
Love lets go, hope holds on and faith stands between the two. We can't hold those we love in an iron clad grip. Jesus never chased anyone down. You don't see him begging anyone to follow Him. He offers us his love freely.
1 Corinthians 13: 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. These three are really tied together. They are like a chord that is super strong.

Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees.
118 You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their delusions come to nothing.
To decree something is more than just to say a bunch of nice words. A decree generally carries with it the force of law. Rulers, Judges, Kings, Priests make decrees.  God decrees things in His word about his creation, about His purpose and plan. It would be an interesting study to look at more carefully at some point. 

All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes.
 My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.
Dross is what is skimmed off in the process of refining silver. Its basically the scum that one must remove when melting metal. The Lord needs to remove the scum from our lives before we start pointing fingers at others. I stand in awe when I think how much we have each been forgiven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...