Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Transitions

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

2 Corinthians 1: 3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows 

Transitions are hard, they are often painful, and filled with uncertainties. It doen not really matter if you are the one initiating the change or the one having to respond to the changes others are making it is all uncomfortable. Even if the change is a good thing for everyone involved it will still have a period of transition that can add extra stress, as we try to figure out how we manage and cope with the changes.

I've come to learn that there is one thing you can count on and that is change. Some changes you are looking forward to, others you know they are coming and you can't seem to slow time down as you try and embrace every last second in the old reality. Other times the change is a big surprise and you didn't even see it coming.

I seem to be going through a season of transitons. I have transitions in what I have done for the past three years. I have some transitions of people who have shared the same road and we have come to a fork in the road and must now part company.  I have transitions from working on one major art project to what next. I have things I have decided to change in my diet and in exercise. We've just ended one school year and now its summer.

Some things I have learned the hard way. Is that it is important to say those things that need to be said. Don't just stuff it and try to go on with life. The opportunity to tell another what they have meant to you may not come again. Do your best to express whats on your heart even if it is hard and painful and full of tears.

It is ok to feel the pain and to be uncomfortable for a time. It is ok to grieve the loss. Its ok to tell the Lord you are hurting and not coping with the changes and you need his help. Sometimes I have to escape to book land for a bit to allow myself something eles to wrap my mind around other than the change I am facing. Some times I have to re-arrange the furniture, probably to remind myself that I am still in control of some things. I journal and I pray. I allow the Lord to speak to me and to be my comforter.

When the Lord prunes our lives for greater growth and fruitfulness it is not always just bad dead stuff that he cuts off. Often he must cut of things that have been good and have been somewhat fruitful.
Often he has to take the lower vines and tie them up out of the dust and the dirt of the field. We soon feel the new energy of no longer having to carrying that old growth, or the dead things any longer but at first it feels awkward and painful. He knows, he understands and he waits for you to draw near. He will embrace you in his arms and comfort you until the storm of emotions passes.


Prayer
Lord, Thank you for pruning and tending our life. Please coat those cuts with the healing balm of your love. Help us to see with your perspective, and to find our comfort during the transition in you. Help us to say those things that need to be said and to be a help and a support to others who are also dealing with the challenges of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...