Monday, June 25, 2012

So You've Become A Pirate Peter!



I actually wrote this one in October of 2008 and as I am combining a lot of old blogs that I am no longer supporting. I thought this was a good one to re-post. 

 Mark 10:13 -16   

13 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.


I was watching the movie Hook with my children a few days ago. There was a point early in the movie where Peter Banning and his family arrive at Ganny Wendy's home in London.
Peter is trying to describe what he does to make a living. Granny Wendy listens and replies. "So...you've become a pirate Peter"
I suppose it struck me because like Peter Pan we are to retain our child like faith.
If we do not we become jaded, cynical, bitter, and hard like a pirate.

Lord break up the hard and fallow ground of our hearts.
Create in me a clean heart, renew a right spirit with in me.

Much of the comedy of the movie Hook is about Peter Banning trying to remember how to be a child at heart again. He is highly motivated because his children have been taken captive by Captain Hook. With the help of the Lost Boys and Tink and the faith of his children he does find the child with in himself and does rescue his children. I think even more because of the experience in Never Land he is rescued from a life quickly heading towards destruction.

I thought it was cool what gave him the ability to fly was to be able to find a happy thought. Childhood is filled with happy thoughts and thankful hearts. It is when we become a pirate that all we see is tainted by the bitterness of our heart and the only joy we know is in trying to steal it from others. Maybe like Captain Hook we can blame it all on the loss of a hand, job, a loved one. Life may be hard but we should continue to trust that God is in control and to have the faith of a child.

Prayer 
Dear Lord,
Help us to come to you with the faith of a child. Help us Lord where our hearts have become hard and cynical to begin to work that ground. Help us break up the hard places and make the soil of our life rich and ready for planting a harvest for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...