Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Strength Of My Heart

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

Psalm 73:26 (NIV1984)

My flesh and my heart 
may fail,
   but God is the strength 
of my heart
   and my portion forever.
 
 
I was praying in our prayer loft at church in what we call the river. There are other posts where I have shared photos of the River Project. Today I spent some time there allowing the Lord to speak to me through the stones. 

I found a rolled up piece of paper left by someone who was being led by the Holy Spirit. It read "Jeremiah 29:11-12 He wants you to have this -  I don't know why." I will receive the confirmation of that verse any day. I did not even need to go look that one up. It say for I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil. Plans to give you a hope and a future. Verse 12 goes on to say "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you" 
I went to read the commentary about this passage and found these words. "His thoughts are all working towards the expected end, which he will give in due time. The end they expect will come, though perhaps not when they expect it." I have been thinking about Gods plans a lot in the last few days. In this verse in Jeremiah's times the people were in captivity and some of the prophets were telling the people what they wanted to hear. Telling them the things you are dreaming about are about to happen. Soon you will go home. Jeremiah has to set them strait. Yes you will go home but its not for a very long time. He tells them you might as well settle down and make the best of your current circumstances. It is a good reminder to me as well. 
 
I was reading today from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young " YOU ARE ON THE PATH of My choosing. There is no randomness about your life. Here and Now comprise the coordinates of your daily life. Most people let their moments slip though their fingers, half lived. They avoid the present by worrying about the future or for longing for a beter time and place. They forget that they are creatures who are subject to the limitations of time and space. They forget their Creator, who walks with them only in the present."  
 
I am reminded of the words of Jesus to his disciples and also to us in John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  I think perhaps the strength of my heart is His peace. 
 
Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
 
So I find my heart has come to a place of rest and peace and I am glad I took the time to pray and allow the Lord to speak to me.  I may not yet know the answers to the things that trouble me or weigh upon my heart. I can find peace in knowing that Jesus does know and that I can trust Him with all my tomorrows, and my somedays. As I have learned to walk with Him today, I can rest assured that His plans for me are good and even when I face things that are difficult He is with me. 
 
Psalm 46: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.  Selah
 
Prayer: 
I pray that you might find His peace in this moment. If you have been weighed down with worry, fear, doubt, anxiety, grief, sorrow, guilt... that in this moment you will hear Jesus speak to the roaring seas of your churning heart "Peace, Be Still" He who commanded the waves is the ruler or your heart and mind. I pray that you will allow your heart and mind to come under his Lordship and authority. Be still beloved - God knows, God cares, He has not forgotten you. 

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...