Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Wonder of God

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio
Psalm 40:5
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; 
were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.



This is a beautiful video with some incredibly beautiful time lapse photography. If you get this in your e-mail and the video is missing click the blue title to get back to the post to see it.

Today I have been looking at art and photos trying to find the inspiration for the Tree of Life mosaic project. There are so many directions I could go with that project that I really need to see what it is that God would have me do with that project. In thinking about that project I have stumbled across many beautiful paintings and photos of Gods creation. I guess it is hard for me to begin to fathom that heaven is far more beautiful.  I think that the Tree of Life rests in the Paradice of God. It is guarded by an Angel with a flaming sword. It bears 12 kinds of fruit and its leaves will bring healing to the nations. It sits along the banks of the river of life that flows from the throne of God. So I wonder what is the essence of this project - how do I begin to represent the splendor and the wonder.

I guess I am surprised by how much Tree of Life art is out there. There a celtic tree of life designs, and tree of life tatoos and wonderful paintings. It seems to be found in many cultures and lands and time periods. I saw one artist that does individual tree of life paintings out of symbols that mean something to the patron. One was made up of dragon flies, it was very clever and beautiful.

I'd like to tell you that I can just "ta da" see this because I have asked God to show me. Perhaps it will come in a dream or a waking vision perhaps something will suddenly click. I know the Beloved project happened in stages, I could see it, I could draw it small, I could draw it big but before I could lay the glass I had to some how feel it and that was something that God allowed me to feel after much healing. So I wonder what it will take to remove the blinders from my eyes to be able to see this. For now I watch and wait with expectation that the Lord will show me. I suspect there is something in me that is not ready to behold this wonder. Then again it may be like naming my second child. The first one God clearly gave me the name the second one he was silent and I had to search til I found the name that seemed right. So I have learned in life and in art that one can't put God in a convient box and expect that he will do things the same way every time.

Did you ever notice that the accounts of how Jesus healed blind men was different every time.
Here in this example He spits in the guys eye and says "Do you see anything"

Mark 8:23
He took the
blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. 
When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, 
Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”

 In the next example spit was not enough this time He spits in the mud and puts mud in the guys eyes.

 John 9
1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.  
2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
   3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
 6 Having said this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means Sent). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing. 

 So before you go off and make up a spiritual formula to cure blindness. Take a look at the next example... no mud, no spit - what the heck - just what do you want me to do for you - and ta da its done. It just goes to show you that you can't fit God in a box. 

Mark 10:50-52

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
50 Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.
   51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.
   The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
   52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.


Well thats about it for my great wisdom for this post.  Oh I have one more cool story to tell you. I prayed last week for a young man in India in facebook land chat. He was having a bad day and said he needed a word from the Lord. By faith I shared with him the word that was on my heart from Proverbs 16:18 about the gift making the way for the giver.

He wrote me today to tell me that he applied that word to his life and went to an orphanage on Christmas day to take gifts to the children. He shared with me how he has received great favor from other leaders in the ministry where he serves.  He writes "when u give that woed from that day onwards every big appercaite me like anything praise god everyone appeciate me all people encourage me that is the reflcet of christmas orphange people food given" 

I am blessed to know that the word I felt led to share - made a difference. I am blessed to know that there is no distance in God's kingdom. That God can do wonders in far away places and speak into lives through the prayers that we pray and the words of encouragement that we share with others.
His story today encourages me to not put God in my own little boxes in thinking that He moves when I lay hands on people to pray for them. He ministers through each of us as we step out in faith to believe that He loves us and wants to touch others near and far if we will believe and be led by the Holy Spirit.

God is good -He is amazing and I look around and I am in awe of His wonders.

Prayer:
Dear Lord,
I pray you would open the eyes of those reading this and that if they have put you in some box, that they would allow you to expand their paradigm. Help us to be led by your Holy Spirit in little things like a word of encouragement or a bible verse or a prayer I pray that those little acts of obedience, faith and kindness will be like a stone tossed in a lake that will create ripples that go on and on.

One more beautiful video and a great song by Phil Wickham.
Wow the changing sunset behind the lone tree. - Beautiful! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...