Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bigger Prayers

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—
how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 
Romans 8:32 NIV

Do you get this verse? God went so far as to give his Son as a sacrifice for our sins, to bring us back into right relationship with the father. He already gave the ultimate on our behalf. Do you think the trifles that we are worrying about are really that hard for him. The end of the verse says "will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" It does not say some things it says all things. 
If you are like me you are going to go check the preceding and following verses to see if there are any conditional statements. So here's the whole passage that talks about us being more than conquerors. 

31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 

Is God for us? It is easy to think when we face trials and difficulties that God has forgotten us. After all why would he care about people as messed up as us? 
Look at verse 33 "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?" I don't think God is caught off guard by our failings. He knows us from beginning to end. He knows why we do what we do. He knows the thoughts that we have that are twisted. He knows how we got broken. He knows our potential and he knows our weakness. 

What ever your momentary trials may be...Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?  Let me add... cars needing major repairs and transportation concerns as well as finances that don't add up and relationships that are difficult. What ever the hardship you may be facing God has not forgotten you. 

I had a friend say recently that our prayers and expectations are often too small.
We timidly approach God with at "sir, I don't want to bother you" kind of demeanor. Bother him are you kidding - he is like the father who waits for the prodigal to return. He does not chase him but he does watch and wait. When he sees him off in the distance He runs out to meet him. He does not give him the servants job that he feels he deserves. He orders a great feast prepared. He puts a ring on his finger and fresh robes. 

So I still don't have our car issues solved. Today was busy with students and I just had to put it on the back burner. When I prayed in the morning I felt like the Lord reminded me to not get side tracked and distracted. I am supposed to be getting ready for school to start. I felt like the Lord said to continue to move forward and watch the obstacles move out of the way. So I re ordered one of my books. I looked for massage tables and chairs on Craigs list. I focused on my students and my family. I started reading one of my text books that I was told we needed to read at least four times. I stopped spinning all the possibilities of ways to fix my situation. I got back on track doing the things I believe I am supposed to be doing at this point. I left the rest in the Lord's hands. 

Tomorrow I will simply follow His leading and see where it takes me. 

I think we read verses like the one we have today and think that must be for other people. God can't mean me? Sometimes we have not settled what it is that we want. Sometimes that false humility thing kicks in and we feel awkward walking as not only a kingdom ambassador but one of the family of God. 

We limit the Lord with our small thinking. We ask God to fix something when perhaps God is waiting for us to ask him to replace it with something brand new. 

God does not wake from his slumber, wringing His hands saying "geesh...what do they want now? He is delighted when we realize how much we need Him. 


Well thats all for tonight - I pray the Lord will help you to grab ahold of this message. I hope you will find the courage and faith to pray bigger prayers. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...