Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Brought To Fullness

The first drawing in my journal
A Devotional by Margot Cioccio


Colossians 2:9-10(NIV)
9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Colossians 2:9-10 (MSG)
8-10 Watch out for people who try to dazzle you with big words and intellectual double-talk. They want to drag you off into endless arguments that never amount to anything. They spread their ideas through the empty traditions of human beings and the empty superstitions of spirit beings. But that’s not the way of Christ. Everything of God gets expressed in him, so you can see and hear him clearly. You don’t need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything.

Painted on a day that I felt adrift and directionless
Jesus modeled kingdom life for us. He lived openly, he was not some cloistered mystic teacher hidden away for only those who have the bucks to experience his wisdom. I don't know about not needing a telescope or a microscope we have both and they make it possible to see very small things and very far away things. They don't really help you to see God, although they do make it possible to see the wonders and the vastness of His creation. Which is pretty cool. Horoscopes I could do with out. I have no need to consult the stars about my future even when it is un clear. 

I do think there is need in all of our lives for positive prophecy and blessings. We need to be people who see the divine spark in others and encourage them. Most of us walk around with so much self doubt that it is difficult for us to even see our own potential. We need life giving leaders who will say like my own pastor did. "Margot, I believe by September you will have a whole new life." At the time he said that to me all I could see was that my life was in a state of change. Things that I had been doing had come to an end. During the time that I just felt lost and like a boat adrift with out a paddle, but I held on to that word. I tried to focus on the possibilities rather than the disappointment and the uncomfortable feelings being like a baby bird pushed from the safe nest of my familiar comfort zone.  My point here is that we need people to speak hope, and to see the gifts, to recognize that spark. We need people who will come along side of us and affirm and encourage steps of faith towards who God has created us uniquely to become. We also need to be that kind of person for others. 

Drawn in early May
"When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything." I could see many possibile directions to go. You might think, just pick one. I have experienced being out of step with God so I did not want to just head off in any direction. So I waited, prayed, journaled, read books, often felt like throwing those books against the walls. I did notice in looking back that I kept drawing mountains and hands on things. 

I have noticed with the Lord that you can feel like you are walking along blindly with no clue of how to change or solve an issue you are facing and then suddenly you turn some corner and everything starts to make sense. His provision may have even been there all along, you just could not see it. I think of Hagar in the desert, terribly distraught because she had been sent away from her life with Abraham into the desert wilderness. Her fear of having to watch her son die of thirst so consumed her that she could not see the nearby well. Then suddenly God helped her to see it. 

You may feel like you are out of step but this part of todays verse really jumps out for me. "When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything."
When you come to him. He needs to be your first rather than your last resort. Whatever you are facing today, top and take some time to come to Him. Lift up your concerns to Him, but also take some time to just wait and listen. He longs to walk beside you and to guide you. He does have the map and the plan ... you think we might want to consult Him. He wants to help you but waits to be invited. 

Too often we want God to bless our plans rather than fit into His plans. He wants to bring you to that centered place of fullness in Him. He want's to be your "All in All". Its easy to get distracted by things that don't matter. We can be so busy doing "stuff" that we don't have time to do what He has really created for us. Then we get mad when he strips away some of that unnecessary stuff. When all the people we generally run to are not available we want to shake our fist and cry out why me. When we really just need to go to the Lord. He is our comforter, our friend, our guide, our lover, our teacher, the one who picks us up when we fall and dusts us off and says try again, you'll get it. 
 
I think it is interesting when I drew this drawing of possible directions back on 4/27/12 I did not put them in any particular order. Look what one is on the top... Massage Therapy.  As I took little steps in this direction doors just kept opening. I had the interest and inspiration to even take those initial steps and to visit the various training programs available in my area. At this point the finances needed have been provided and am just waiting to do the final paper work with the school I want to attend. (They are on summer break).  I've re-organized my schedule to make it work with the new school schedule in the fall. Not much left to do but enjoy the summer and to be very thankful that God has given me a new dream and new direction. Well... I still need to order my books and supplies. 

Prayer:
I want to pray for those of you who feel stuck and need to make some changes in your life. That God will help you to get un stuck. That He will give you new vision, and purpose. That He will give you the courage to leave the comfortable to move towards that new dream. For all of you I pray that you will know the fullness of Christ in your life. That you will allow him into your difficult and your secret places. That He will beging a transforming work in your life. Stripping away the stuff that is no longer needed and making room for wonderful new things that He has for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...