Thursday, January 17, 2013

Do Every Thing Without Complaining

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio
Source: artfire.com via Margot on Pinterest

I want to remind you that I have a lot of wonderful gift ideas and hearts in my online shop.
Here's the Link to my Shop or click the photo.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.” Philippians 2:14-16

When I was working involved in Children's church this was one of my favorite verses to quote to kids. The truth be known however we could all stand to be reminded of this verse.
Do everything it says not some things, not the things you enjoy, not just the good stuff. It say in a pretty strait forward way to do everything with out complaining or arguing. I don't even need to consult a commentary or pastoral advice on this one. I just have to decide to do it. So when I have work to do that is not may cup of tea - for example cleaning toilets I need to make a point to not grumble and complain. Actually its a perfect reminder for me today because on top of my normal work at the church I have an annual report to copy and collate and bind into books.

Administrative work is arguably not my favorite stuff to do. That type of work is more suited to very linar, organized folks. I am very scattered and while I am good at creating systems I am not the best at keeping them up. So I ask myself why do I want to work in the church office. I have an answer, it allows me to be available use a very strong gift of encouragement in a struggling inner city church environment. I am here and am often able to encourage and pray for the pastor other leaders and staff.  It allows me to use another strong gift of creatively communicating the truths of God and makes a way for me to create and manage the prayer loft. It allows me opportunities to use a pastoring or shepherding gift through articles I am asked to write and share in our service or newsletter. The administrative work opens the door for a lot of other opportunities to be used by God.

There are going to be things in all of our day that are not our favorite things to do. There are going to be things in our day that are hard, sometimes painful or even un pleasant to do.We have to decide in this moment how we will go through our day. Will be choose to ask the Holy Spirit to help us to be doers of the Word. Will we stop when we start to complain and find instead reasons to give thanks.

Well I'm out of time for today.

Prayer: Lord help us to take this word and to chomp on it today. Help us to actually shine like stars. Help us to give thanks rather than complain. Help us rather than argue to consider the other persons sided in things and perhaps go along with them.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...