Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Trip To Shriners

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

Cai's Visit to Shriners
 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8

My day started with a call from Shriners Hospital telling me they could see my son at 10:45am. So that meant some minor rearranging of my day. They told us to bring shot records and shorts with no metal or buttons because they would be taking x-rays. They said nothing about don't eat so I fixed breakfast and we headed to Shriners.

Cai wil get to choose something after surgery
We filled out lots of papers, went for x-rays, talked to Doctors and Nurses and all mannor of hospital folks. We looked at the x-rays with the Doctor and we had two choices. Attempt to let the bones heal on their own for 6-8 weeks. If they would not heal then there would be the possibility of a later surgery. Option two was surgery where they would use some sort of plate to hold the mangled looking collar bone in place. With that option they said the healing was much faster and Cai could be using his arm again in 2-3 weeks. It was really a no brainer decision. They would have done the surgery today except for having eaten breakfast. We filled out more papers and were instructed about pre surgery prep and then given a tour of the hospital.

The Lobby of Shriners
On our tour we were shown where we would check in, then the room where Cai would wait for his turn for surgery. They have i-pads and game counsels that can be checked out. They have a rec room with anything a kid could ever want to amuse them selves with. We saw the toy closet, filled with donated new toys and were told Cai would get to pick something after his surgery.  Our tour guide produced a box of things kids would encounter and took the time to explain how each thing worked and what it was used for.
This is an i-v...

There was colorful kid friendly art on all the walls. It was bright and cheery and more like a full service hotel at Disney land only you were going there for surgery.

Cai seems to be pretty relaxed about the whole thing as well as pleased that the healing won't take nearly as long as we were first told to expect.

So surgery is scheduled for Thursday we need to be there by 6 in the morning. I'm glad we only live a few minutes away.  So this is our current adventure that started with a bike ride down a street that was an icy hill.

Our verse today from Matthew is about asking, seeking and knocking. Today we have asked questions and sought the council of doctors. I thought about how I should respond to this un-expected curve. Should I be up set, and frightened, and question why God allowed this accident to happen. Or should I look at is as an opportunity for growth. My son is in pain but he said the ride down the icy hill was fun.
I guess I would rather my kids got out there and lived even if they get banged up here and there. Its not like I'm encouraging them to play in traffic. I am seeing this as if we are knocking on a door into a world that we really don't get to see inside. Who am I to say if perhaps there is something there that my son needs to experience to expand the possibilities of things he might want to do when he grows up. I have to believe that God was watching out for my son. This accident could have been so much worse. So I am thankful for the many friends and family who are praying and supporting us as we go through this experience.

What door are you knocking on, what are you seeking, what are you asking about? I think in all three there is anticipation, a feeling of continuing rather than giving up. When you have given up you stop knocking, you stop asking and you don't really care to seek any more. You have accepted disappointment, failure, shame, and grief. You have thrown in the towel and given up hope. 

Those who are seeking, asking and knocking have not given up they will get the things they are after. We are to Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. I guess I am asking that healing process would go by quickly but I am also asking that God would use this experience to open some door or direction for my son that he would not have other wise had a chance to know about. 

I will keep you posted on this journey and the things we discover along the way. 

Prayer: Lord I pray for these readers would be able to look at the challenges they are facing from a different angle. That they would not throw in the towel but would continue to ask, seek and knock. I pray that you would reveal yourself to them in profound ways as the begin to trust you in each and every situation they face.

2 comments:

  1. WE LOVE YOU GUYS! LET US KNOW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah, Love you guys too. I'll keep you posted

      Delete

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...