Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sing to the Lord a New Song

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

Psalm 96:1 Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.

Psalm 98:1 Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things; 
his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.

Psalm 149:1
Praise the Lord. Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in theassembly of the saints.

Isaiah 42:10
Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise from the ends of the earth, 
you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it, you islands, and all who live in them.



A friend posted this video about How to write a worship song in five minutes. It started my morning off laughing. If you get this in your e-mail click the post title to get to the main page to see the video.

http://youtu.be/GhYuA0Cz8ls

So maybe you are not all musicians and you might not find this as humorous as I did but it leads me to realize that its been quite a while since I've done any song writing. Its not that its so hard to write songs clearly according to the video any idiot with a guitar should be able to crank out songs. I guess I have this idea in my head that I will eventually be able to write songs on the piano. I have written a few but the process of being able to actually play what I hear in my head is still frustrating. So I've put my efforts to other creative forms of expressions.

I used to write songs during my quiet times with the Lord. Now I mostly write devotionals.  I have another friend who used to write songs, but stopped writing because his life has not turned out at all like he had once hoped it might. Most of the time he feels like a failure. From that place there is not much to write but songs of lament so why bother.

The word does say sing a new song at least four times. I don't think that is there for just those few anointed song writers of God's creation. I think it is there for all of us. There is something powerful that happens when music and words are combined. I often will take bible verse that I want to memorize and set them to a simple melody. My brain remembers music - it some how sticks when other things get lost.

I have been hungry for new songs lately but have not yet heard any that have jumped out at me and said ah ha! I do some arrangements for my guitar students of songs they are interested in. Maybe its time to write some new songs. I have to say that I am some what partial to hymns because there is some depth to their theology that seems to be pretty absent in a lot of our modern choruses.

It looks like the last time I sat down and wrote a song was exactly a year ago at that time I wrote Wash Over Me and then attempted for weeks to play it on the piano.  Heres the piano version  Its a nice prayer kind of song - I don't expect that it will ever rock the song writing world, I stopped chasing that brass ring a long time ago. I started writing songs when I was 13 and through out my life I have written songs to express various ideas and feelings. I generally write more out of a need to express something than a need for anything to become of it. I think all of us can make melodies in our hearts and put some thoughts or words that express our feelings to God. I think that sing to the Lord a new song is a challenge for all of us to not just re hash the songs of others but to on our own find words to express our deepest feelings and thoughts to God. I have to admit I have allowed this form of expression to get place way on the back burner. He has done marvelous things.

I don't know that I will have anytime this weekend to sit down and work on song writing. My kids are involved in a debate tournament all weekend and I am scheduled to be a judge for a number of the events. So for now I will simply contemplate the possibility of writing a new song. Sometimes ideas have to brew and stew for a while before they become something.


Prayer: I pray the Lord will sing over you and that you will find little melodies in your heart upon which to set your thoughts and prayers.

PS. If you are getting this in your e-mail be sure to click the title to be able to see the videos and other resources. Also I am also allowing my readers to preview my new A2Z Devotions e-book. This is still the pre release version and you might still find typos. If you do let me know the page number and what needs fixed. Anyway I would love to hear what you think of it. Please allow a few minutes for your changes to appear
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...