Friday, February 8, 2013

Listening

A Devotional By Margot Cioccio


Proverbs 18:13
13 He who answers before listening—
that is his folly and his shame.

I spent today listening. First to doctors with my mom and aunt. Then at a debate tournament as a judge listening to teenagers. In between I did a bit of reading when I should have been writing this post.  

At this point about all I can hear is my pillow calling. Tomorrow is yet another day of debate and I need to be up by 5am to get kids to the bus on time. Then I have lessons and then I am back to debate for the afternoon and into the evening. 

Real quick on the verse that I chose. It is easy to have our own dialoge going on in our head. We are so busy thinking up our response that we never really hear what the other person is saying. If you were talking face to face with Jesus you would not be looking around the room to see who else more important or popular there was to talk to. You would be paying attention. We can be quick to speak and too slow to listen. 

All around us are people who are crying out to be heard. It is a small gift of grace that we can give to them to listen. To not jump to conclusions. To not be so busy trying to figure out how to fix things that we never really hear what they are saying. 

Prayer: Lord help us to care enough to listen to the people around us. Help us to also listen to you. Open up your word and help us to put it into practice in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...