Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hummingbird At Rest

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio 


Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV1984)
There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under heaven:



I took this photo the other day. It it is unusual to see Hummingbirds sit still. They usually just flit in and out with their little wings moving at an incredible speed. I was sitting on my patio and saw this one come and just sit for a while, it must feel safe among the flower and that twisted wire is a nice place to sit and survey the wet land. 


Hummingbirds are probably my favorite creature. My husband got me a beautiful hummingbird necklace made out of the multi colored golds that I wear it all the time. Hummingbirds are another of those symbols that mean something to me. They remind me to retain my sense of wonder. To believe that with God the impossible is somehow possible. 


They are interesting creatures here's some info from Wikapedia. "Hummingbirds are birds that comprise the family Trochilidae. They are among the smallest of birds, most species measuring in the 7.5–13 cm (3–5 in) range. Indeed, the smallest extant bird species is a hummingbird, the 5-cm Bee Hummingbird. They can hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 12–80 times per second (depending on the species). To conserve energy while they sleep or when food is scarce, they have the ability to go into a hibernation-like state (torpor) where their metabolic rate is slowed to 1/15th of its normal rate.[1]They are also the only group of birds with the ability to fly backwards.[2] Their English name derives from the humming sound made by the very fast beating of their wings. They can fly at speeds exceeding 15 m/s (54 km/h; 34 mph).[3]"


So my thought today is that like the little hummingbird, I am always zooming around. I've always got many projects and things that I am working on, or things that I am responsible for. I think we get it in our heads that we will get done with things and then we will take a rest. I guess I am realizing  that I must learn to rest in and among all the busy things. Unless we learn to abide and to rest in the busyness we will quickly burn out. 


In recent years I have learned the importance of my quiet time each morning. I need that time to be centered and to get through my busy day. I need it to maintain creativity in the midst of a busy life. I need it to process and to hear from God. It is a rare morning that I am not found quietly thinking, praying, or writing while my family is still asleep. I love the quiet of the morning. 


I think I struggle when projects come to an end because other than my quiet morning time resting is hard for me. Its probably tied to old performance orientation mindsets that say to me I am valuable when I am doing. My worth is measured by what I get done, and manage to accomplish. I realize that is not true - if I did nothing but sit at the Lords feet, He would still love me.  This brings to mind the story about Martha and Mary from Luke 10:
Luke 10:39-42 (NIV) 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Mary has chosen what is better - in my mornings I have chosen what is better. I realize that in abiding that I am more creative and have more energy. I whole heartedly believe, John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 

So in my quiet morning time it is easy to hear God. I need to continue to develop a quiet spirit of abiding through out my day. In the middle of my busyness, I need to quiet myself and find little places of peace to rest. 

So my time between projects while often very uncomfortable to me are good in that I need to rest. It is ok to have down time. I do not have to fill every minute of every day with things that need done. It takes me a while to settle in to resting and waiting mode.   


We can get so busy that we can miss the beauty and the wonder all around us. 
I don't know what you are facing today. I do want to encourage you that it is ok to feel weird when something comes to an end. There is a period where you will feel awkward, because to grow and change we must leave our comfort zone. The new zone always feels awkward at first. The time between the old comfort zone and before knowing what the next project is going to be is difficult because there are so many unknowns and it is easy to worry in that place rather than to rest and wait. We have a guide who knows the way. Even when we can't see beyond the next rise in the landscape he knows every hill and every valley. He knows every river and watering hole along the way.

Psalm 23 1 -3 
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

Prayer: Lord help us to settle down and to be still and know that you are our God. Help us to abide in you and to trust you to know that you will protect and shield us. That even if we have difficult things or new things to face that you will be right there with us. Let us remember to invite you into not just our quiet time but into every part of every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...