Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Think Out Side Of The Box

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio



Ephesians 2:10
"For we are his workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
 which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

I suppose for anyone who knows me - it is probably obvious that I see the creativity of God written everywhere. I see it in the faces of people, in sunsets, in the blanket of snow that lays out sided. In the amazing flight of a humming bird. I believe that woven in to each of us is the power to create. It may not be artistic work, or grand musical pieces but we have the power in us to create daily what our life will be like. There may be circumstances that are out of our control but God gives each of us choices with in our circumstances to figure out how we will go through them. 

Deuteronomy 1:21
 See, the LORD your God has given you the land. Go up and take possession of it as the LORD, the God of your fathers, told you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

There are things that you know that God has given you to do. Some are things that you have a natural tallent or aptitude for, others are thing you discovered you enjoyed doing and you have developed those skills. Some things may be gifts that God has given you.

 1 Peter 4:10-11
“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.” (NIV)

I found out at a very young age that I enjoyed everything to do with being creative. I have spent my life making time to do the things that I love to do.  I found this quote on Pinterest yesterday.


I have to give it a hardy amen! Yep I believe it is true. I can choose who I will spend time with. I can surround my self with people who are inspiring or I can spend my time with couch potatoes, or I can spend my time with the grumpy and negitive folks. Jim Rohn said: ” we become the combined average of the FIVE people we associate most with” Yikes who are you hanging out with. Hopefully Jesus makes your list.   Heres another similar quote "The values of the world we inhabit and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound effect on who we are. ~Malcolm Gladwell

In thinking outside of my own box - I am mindful of the people around me and their influence. I try to surround myself with people who are problem solvers, over comers, those who care for others, thankful people. You might want to take a look at the folks in your life and decide who are your positive people, the one's who inspire and encourage you.  Make more time for them and less for the energy vampire folks. The ones who suck the life right out of you with their negativity. 

So hears my outside of the box part of this discussion. What about you - who would have to put you on their list and are you effecting their life in a positive life giving way.  How can you change to become a life giving person?

I like this blessing from Day 17 of Blessing Your Spirit by Sylvia Gunter and Arthur Burk
 " I bless you, ________, with being a leader in your community of faith so that other people spontaneously come to you when they have needs. I bless you to be a wise life-giver, not an enabler who inappropriately meets needs that people should take care of for themselves." 

I have had to learn when it is my place to pray and encourage and when it is something that I am to do something about. I have to believe that people are capable of solving the problems in their own life with God's help. Sadly many are lazy and are looking for others to give them a free ride. They want someone else to tell them what do do when they should be seeking God for them self and taking steps of faith to change.  Change takes courage and faith. It takes making adjustments along the way. It takes trying something and failing repeatedly till you get it right. Think out side the box and give yourself permission to try, to experiment. If it does not work consider it part of the learning process and adjust and try again.

Prayer:
Lord I pray that you help us to make sure you are on our "five" list. That we would make time in our life for you. I pray that you help us to become a life giving not a life sucking person. I pray that you put in us the courage and faith to try and to be over comers as we look at the trials that we face during the course of daily life. I pray that you would surround us with life giving people who inspire and encourage us to be all that you have called us to be. That your hand would be upon us and that we would grow in wisdom, favor and stature and be a blessing in our world and bring glory to your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...