Monday, January 23, 2012

Habbits

A Devotional by Margot Ciocco

An amazing team of young people that helped with the Feed.
Psalm 71:3
Be my strong refuge,
         To which I may resort continually;
         You have given the 
commandment to save me,
         For You are my rock and my fortress. 

What I want to look at today is the part of the verse that say "to which I may resort continually".  Psalm 71 is accredited to David although there are some who say it might have been the prophet Jeremiah. In most cases it is considered to have been written by someone who was not up in years. Check out verse 9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails. If you are young you still feel pretty invincible and the idea of your strength failing is really not a part of your thoughts. As one gets older and your physical body begins to decline you have to find ways to do things that were in your youth not even an issues. At 50 I don't really think of myself as old but I can look back at my younger years and see how my own body is not what it once was. I get very tired of needing reader glasses just to see the words in my large print bible. One of the things that has grown stronger as I have walked with the Lord and grown older are the habits that I have developed though years of practicing. Things like practicing to look to God rather that to get turned inside out with worry. To choose to be thankful over being bitter, and ungrateful. To choose to be in the word and to know the many stories and verses that apply to various situations are things that have paid off and continue to pay off in my life.  I am able to look back at the mighty acts of God in my own life. The many many time when the situation appeared hopeless and yet God in some amazing way came through. I have practiced standing in faith, and prayer I have gone through my share of trials and known the presence and care of God in those seasons. At age 21 when I became a believer I did not have the benefit of being raised in a christian home. I did not know any of the stories that we teach to children in Sunday school. I am ever thankful for the handful of believing friends that came along side me and answer my questions and helped model for me the walk of a believer. God put in me a hunger for His word and the importance of fellowship with other believers, and I have grown to value prayer and need to be found at the feet of Jesus.  I look for opportunities to pay that gift forward to others who are young in the Lord.

Actually when I first came to notice Psalm 71 it was because there was a word in it that I did not know. In verse 7 I did not know the meaning of the word "portent"

Psalm 71:7 NIV I have become like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...