Thursday, September 22, 2011

Need A Check Up?

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

2 Corinthians 13
5-9Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. I hope the test won't show that we have failed. But if it comes to that, we'd rather the test showed our failure than yours. We're rooting for the truth to win out in you. We couldn't possibly do otherwise.

One way you can give yourself a spiritual check up is to use one of the many assessment tools that one can find on line. I found two that are pretty nice. I'm not saying that assessments are the be all to end all in determining where you are on your spiritual journey but they can help you see areas that might need some work. The verse we have today from 2 Corinthians 13 say to test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. That is a good idea, much in the same way you go to the doctor for a check up to make sure you are taking care of your physical body. It is also a good idea to check your spiritual pulse from time to time to make sure you are moving in the right direction. It can help you to determine where you might want to work or make changes. You then can decide what you want to work on and how fast you want to make those changes. There are probably plenty of other assessments out there. These are just a few that I found that I thought you might find helpful in doing a Spiritual Check Up.  We all have areas in our life where we could be more like Jesus. It is a journey that we each take step by step with Jesus. The important thing is walking with Him and being led by the Holy Spirit day by day.  If you decide to do any of these assessments or others like them. Pick one area or thing that you want to work on and pray and ask Jesus to help you with that area.  In your prayer time spend sometime brainstorming some things you might do to work on that area. Pick one and try it out. If it works great, if not theres no harm no foul. Think about where you might want to adjust or change things to make it work better. The good news is you are doing something and you are not just drifting and taking things for granted.  If you decide you need someone to help you through the process, check out my coaching site (click on this link or there is a Mosaic Coaching tab at the top of the page)  Lets schedule a time talk about your results and to work on what you want to work on.

Prayer: 
Dear Lord,
Help me to test myself according to the standards of your word. Show me the areas where I could use a tune up or a major overhaul. Help me to not view my results with condemnation because I know you love me right where I am today. I also know you want me to grow to be more and more like you. Help me to look at myself objectively and with eyes of faith. Help me to see where you are already working and where I need to surrender more to you. Help me pick one thing to work on with you this week or this month. I want to brainstorm with you and begin to experiment to find a plan of action that will work for me. I know you know and I know you want to help me figgure it out. So I look to you with expectaion and trust and know that you will lead me by your Holy Spirit.  ~ Thank you for helping me and loving me on my journey.

Assessments Tools:

Are You on Target? (This is a nice on-line assessment that gives you a target at the end showing you where you are in your journey in various areas. When you click on the "x" indicating your present growth location it takes you to a page that gives you relevant books that would be helpful. This one was my speed - on line - with no forms needing my information. Fast and the results were visual.


http://www.assess-yourself.org/  This one has assessment for Love of God, Christian Character, Obstacles to growth, and your world view.  They ask for some info for their larger study but no names or address or e-mail is needed. (I would be inclined to do this one when I have more time. Liked the idea of the different tests they offered.)

Growth Planner PDF  This is a long assessment that is set up for you to take the test and also have a friend who knows you well take the test giving their answers for how you are doing. (I liked the suggestions they gave for you to make changes at a crawl, walk or a run. You choose the pace. There were plenty of good ideas in that section even if you don't use this assessment tool. )


PS. I am not endorcing any of the ministries where these assessments are found. I really don't know much more than these tests showed up when I searched and they seemed to be geared for Christians who want to grow. I am not affiliated with these ministries in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...