Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Under God's Protection


This Art Reflection was written for The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington. It was presented during the service on March 17th, 2019. You can purchase this art work at http://www.inspired-art.com/Gallery_8/Gods_Protection.html


http://www.inspired-art.com/Gallery_8/Gods_Protection_files/shapeimage_1.png
by Artist Danny Hahlbohm 
Art Reflection by Margot Cioccio

As I sat writing this reflection I went searching for a particular quote and I found my self drawn in to listening to the music of one of my favorite song writers, who’s life here on this earth in my opinion ended far too soon. Yet he lives on many years later in recordings and rough demos made a mere 9 days before the fatal car wreck that took him home like Elijah in a chariot of fire.  As we look at living and dying in the sermon today Im reminded of  Psalm  91:11-12 say For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 

In Psalm 139:14-18 
I thank you, God, for making me so mysteriously complex! Everything you do is marvelously breathtaking. It simply amazes me to think about it. How thoroughly you know me, Lord! You even formed every bone in my body when you created me in the secret place, carefully, skillfully shaping me from nothing into something. You saw who you created me to be before I became me! Before I’d seen the light of day, the number of days you planned for me were already recorded in your book. Every single moment you are thinking of me! How precious and wonderful to consider that you cherish me constantly in your every thought. 

How much freedom is there to be found in knowing that God has already planned the number of your days. 

In John 10:25-30. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

How much freedom is there in knowing that nothing can snatch us out of his hand

The image today is another recent painting from artist Danny Hahlbohm. The title he has given to it is Under  God’s  Protection. He writes on the site notes “We are children of the living God, and God protects His own. When need be, God will send His mighty angels to protect us from harm and evil. His angels are powerful and mighty, not like those depicted in some “new age” imagery. God does not have wimpy angels.
His angels do His bidding, weather good or destructive, and they have the power and capability to carry out God’s mission no matter what that might be. No wonder why in the bible, when an angel appears, the first thing that angel says is, “fear not.”

In Philippians 1:27-28 in the  Passion Translation it says… "When I come to see you, or hear good reports of you, I’ll know that you stand united in one Spirit and one passion - celebrating together as conquerors in the faith of the gospel. And then you will never be shaken or intimidated by the opposition that rises up against us, for your courage will only prove as a sure sign from God of their coming destruction and that you have found a new life.” 

Irregardless if the opposition you face is thugs who would try to rob, rape or even kill you or a diagnosis of cancer or some other thing that threatens to take your life. I want you to look intently at this art work on the screen today. Allow it to be seared into your mind and heart. 

Last week we looked at Jesus as the Word, this week we look at art that depicts him as provider and protector. He is the commander of the angel armies. Paul in the passage today is speaking about living and dying. He is ready to depart this life but knows that his staying benefits the Church. In verse 20 he says “In my life or in my death, Christ will be magnified in me. My true life is the Anointed One, and dying means gaining more of him. 

From the realm of God’s golden glory which is much closer than you may think. Do you feel Him? He is here with us right now.  See his right hand extended, and reaching out to you. It reminds me of how the king extend his scepter to Esther when she came to him uninvited. That extended scepter or hands means you who have approached the King will live and not die.  He does not hold back the things that you need to overcome and to be victorious. His mighty angel army come and go at his command. 

I want to end with some words written by Rich Mullins the song writer I mentioned earlier. 

My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by 
He will never break His promise, He has written it upon the sky 

My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by 
I will never doubt His promise though I doubt my heart, I doubt my eyes 

My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by 
He will never break His promise though the stars should break faith with the sky 

My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by

Here's A Youtube video of Rich Mullins song My Deliverer
https://youtu.be/K8-NxI_IWd0




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...