Monday, February 24, 2014

Ordinary Miracles


I have not posted in quite a while. Today I this song by Sarah McLachlan just keeps going through my head. I look around at all the miracles that we take for granted because we have seen them over and over. We so easily forget how blessed we are. I have not recorded and posted a song in quite a while. Today I had a quiet kind of day. I stopped by the Healing Rooms for worship and prayer this morning, took my aunt out for coffee, came home did a little cleaning, journaled and the whole time this song just kept running through my mind.

I realize that I have a lot to be thankful for. His mercies are new every morning. I love the line in this song that says "Don’t need to teach a seed to grow ". I think sometimes we get so caught up in striving to be good enough believers that we forget that it is God who planted that seed of His love in our hearts. Like any seed planted in rich soil, if you water it and allow it sunshine it will grow. To often that little seed is struggling to grow among rocks or thorns of bitterness, regrets, shame, doubt, unbelief. Sometimes our hearts are so terribly broken that even if we do water our little seed of Gods love the water just leaks right out leaving the little seed to struggle for life.  A lot of times we may even realize our heart is a mess but scratch our heads clueless about how to fix it or we look at how big the mess has become and are so overwhelmed or filled with fear that anyone including the Lord might discover who we really are that we isolate our selves even further.

While the journey to spiritual heart health may take you a while. I can tell you that it starts with getting to know Jesus. Opening your heart to Him is where the journey begins and where the journey continues from day to day. He is the one who created you and your heart and He is the one who can help you see how to fix it. I know we would all like those amazing instantaneous miracles and to be counted among the blind who can suddenly see or the lame man who can walk and leap for joy or the crazy demon possessed guy who is freed from his bondage. I don't discount that God can do those things. How I see Him work most often is through ordinary miracles. Things so common or simple that one might easily say it is just coincidence.  The courage to make little changes or take tiny steps of faith are not less miraculous.

I hope you will look around in spite of the difficulties you may presently be facing and realize that you have a lot to be thankful for because all around you are many ordinary miracles. I pray your eyes might be opened to see them. That you would take the time to rejoice over those things that you are able to see.

2 comments:

  1. This is truly beautiful. I know it can be hard sometimes, but you're right, there are still lots of little miracles. Those miracles can make all the difference if we let them.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment M.J. Miracles ordinary or otherwise do make a difference and give us much to be thankful for.

      Delete

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...