Monday, October 28, 2013

These Words of My Mouth

A Devotional by Margot Cioccio

Emma
May these words of my mouth
and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, 
Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14 NIV

We have been created in the image of God who spoke things into existence. The words of our mouths are powerful things. Its not just the word we say to or about the Lord but also the words we say about ourselves and others. I am reminded of another verse Proverbs 18:21
The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. We can use our words to speak truth, health, love and peace or we can use our words to gossip, spread rumors or stir up strife,  hatred, pain and unbelief. It is said of the prophet Samuel that he let none of his words fall to the ground. He was careful of what came out of his mouth. We should use ours wisely as well 

I suppose my challenge today is for each of us to be aware of our words. When I was a little girl my grandmother used to say "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." That is a good reminder for us. I think some of us do pretty good with our public words to others but are not as kind to ourselves. We buy into negative self talk. What do you see and say when you look in the mirror. Are you reminded that you are wonderfully made. Do you marvel at how God created you from dust? Do you remember that you are His child whom He loves in spite of your flaws and failures. Probably not - you probably see, fat, ugly, old, or all your perceived flaws.  Do you walk around with guilt and shame or as one set free and forgiven? Most of us look in the mirror and beat our selves up in one manner or the other. Don't! Start at the mirror and then remember through out the day to speak health, peace, life, joy not only to others but to yourself as well.  Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 

We all have challenges but we don't need to allow those things to define us. Our circumstance, our job, or kids, our health do not define who we are. In Christ we are new creations. In Christ we are loved and accepted. To many of us go around saying things like I'm sick, I'm depressed, I'm broke, I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I'm a looser... We could chose to stand on God's word regarding such things. I am Gods child and I may currently be facing some challenges but I am believing that my God is my healer and my provider. With Him all things are possible. He knows the plans he has for me and those plans are for my good and not for my destruction. 

Well I started this last week and never got back to post it. This whole moving process has been grueling but things are starting to shape up. School is going really well, I'm looking forward to everything finally being put away in the house so I can concentrate on studying and my student massages. So for a while I will continue to post when I can - I'm pretty sure that won't be daily but there are over 400 posts at this blog if you are needing more to read.

Also please pray for Emma I took this photo earlier in the summer. She was born mosaic turners syndrome and is presently having trouble with both of her kidneys.  We have seen God do so many miracles to preserve her life and she is in need of yet another. Her family could also use your prayers they have been walking through some pretty tough stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Standing King

An edited version of this Art Reflection was shared at The Gathering House Church in Spokane Washington and presented on March 31, 20...